Monday, March 12, 2012

That was a Long Hiatus!

So good news, bad news, then more good news...
Good News: For the past three years I have been (pretty much) flare free!! I've had a couple minor "was that a flare or wasn't it?" moments, but overall the Hydroxychloroquine my rheumy gave me seemed to help manage my symptoms.
Bad News: In January of this year I had my first official flare in 3 years, this one consisted of mouth lesions and skin lesions on my arms. THEN in March I had another, and although this one did not affect my mouth my body was pretty much covered in ugly spots.
Good News: This reminded me that I had once started a blog, with the best intentions to provide the world information about the unpredictable symptoms of Behcet's, new research about Behcet's, and first hand experience from a typical female living with this disorder/disease.
So, I'm back! :)

So why, after being under control for three years did I have two flares in a row? I have a couple ideas:

  1. Unmanaged Stress. From November - February I was encountering a lot of stress, with work, and with school (I'm going back for my MBA!). I think I was hit twice, with the second flare being worse, because I hadn't been managing my emotional stress levels appropriately.
  2. I was pushing my body physically. I love working out, and when I work out I have trouble keeping things low-impact. So at the first sign that my lips were healing in January I was back to kick-boxing, taking hour long runs, biking for hours, etc. I then got an upper-respiratory infection in February...that I kept calling allergies...and I still didn't stop working out because I was convinced it was helping me manage stress. Looking back, I think it was adding unneeded physical stress. Oops!
  3. Not taking my medicine as directed. So after three years without a problem, I began to think that I didn't need to take the Hydroxychloroquine twice a day. My thought was if I could manage it with one pill a day that would be better for my body. Mind you, I never had any bad side effect from the pill I am just not the kind of person who likes to take medicine unless it is absolutely necessary. So, I dropped down to one pill a day and for about a year, things were good, until the flare.

So, going forward I need to continue to manage my work stress in a healthy way: openly communicate with co-workers and bosses, don't bite off more than I can chew, etc. I also need to switch up my work-outs to include low-impact activities such as Pilates and yoga, so I'm not literally running my body into the ground. And lastly, I need to take my meds as directed by my doctor...even if I am flare free for years. Behcet's can go into remission, but it never goes away (at least not in my case), so I'll continue with the Hydroxychloroquine because it is apparently a necessity to keep me flare free so I can get out and do the things I love!

1 comment:

  1. I'm 15 years old. I was born with HIV my mother passed away because of the HIV infection And I regret why i never met Dr Itua he could have cured my mum for me because as a single mother it was very hard for my mother I came across Dr itua healing words online about how he cure different disease in different races diseases like HIV/Aids Herpes,Parkison,Asthma,Autism,Copd,Epilepsy,Shingles,Cold Sore,Infertility, Chronic Fatigues Syndrome, Lupus Cure,Fibromyalgia,Love  Spell,Prostate Cancer,Lung Cancer,Glaucoma.,psoriasis,Cirrhosis of Liver, Cataracts,Macular degeneration, Chrons disease,Infectious mononucleosis.,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,psoriasis,Bipolar Disorder,Dementia.,Tach Disease,Breast Cancer,Blood Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Love Spell,Chronic Diarrhea,Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Stroke,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone ToxicitySyndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Weak Erection,Breast Enlargment,Penis Enlargment,Hpv,measles, tetanus, whooping cough, tuberculosis, polio and diphtheria)Diabetes Hepatitis even Cancer I was so excited but frighten at same time because I haven't come across such thing article online then I contacted Dr Itua on Mail drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ . I also chat with him on what's app +2348149277967 he tells me how it works then I tell him I want to proceed I paid him so swiftly Colorado post office I receive my herbal medicine within 4/5 working days he gave me guild lines to follow and here am I living healthy again can imagine how god use men to manifest his works am I writing in all articles online to spread the god work of Dr Itua Herbal Medicine,He's a Great Man.  

    ReplyDelete